This recipe is simple, healthy, and efficient for feeding yourself, others, or both. It takes about an hour from start to finish, is packed with lean protein and vegetables, and it can feed a large group or last you all week. Refrigerate or freeze extras, and mix up a fresh scoop of the yogurt “sour cream” upon heating and serving.
Turkey and Red Beans with Greek Yogurt “Sour Cream”
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 small carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, chili flakes, hot sauce; extra to taste
- 20 oz. 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 12-oz can red kidney beans
- 16-oz container of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil.
- Dice the carrots, onion, and celery and add to the pot, set on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add your ground turkey and seasoning (garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, chili flakes and hot sauce), stirring occasionally until the ingredients are well blended and the turkey begins to brown.
- Dice the bell peppers, and add them into the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, then fill about half the can with water and add to the pot as well. Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until most of the excess liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- Drain the can of red beans, add to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While you are waiting, combine the Greek yogurt with some hot sauce, and a little salt and pepper to taste to make your “sour cream.”
- Serve the turkey and beans in a bowl with a scoop of the yogurt on top.