Yes, it is possible to transform a recipe that is 90% butter and flour into a gluten-free, vegan version. These Banana Maple Walnut Scones are a perfect example. And with the exception of the coconut oil and baking soda, it’s basically like you’re eating a bowl of oatmeal. Seriously! Its a great breakfast or snack.
Banana Maple Walnut Scones (Gluten Free, and Vegan)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil
- 2-3 bananas
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F, and spritz baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients (oat flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt) in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Peel and mash bananas, and then combine wet ingredients (maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla) with bananas, one at a time until well combined.
- Go back to the dry ingredients, and cut in coconut oil with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly and coconut oil is evenly distributed.
- Fold in wet ingredients, then fold in nuts. Make sure everything is combined well, but don’t over mix.
- Sprinkle some oat flour on a flat surface, and form half of the dough into a circle that’s 1 – 2 inches tall. Cut into 6 equal pieces (like you were cutting a pizza), and place them on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Cook for 16-22 minutes, or until scones begin to brown.